2001 East 1st St Ste 102 Santa Ana, CA 92705

  (866) 360-5652

We are here 7 days/week 8:00 AM to 10:00 PM PST

A licensed professional is certified to prescribe an ESA letter to patients suffering from mental disorders like anxiety, ADHD, OCD, depression, etc. But not every doctor can prescribe you a legit recommendation.

Below are all who can prescribe an emotional support animal letter

They are licensed mental health professionals who can diagnose your mental condition and recommend that your pet can help you manage your problem.

  1. Psychologists
  2. Psychiatrists
  3. Licensed professional counselors
  4. Licensed clinical social workers
  5. Psychiatric nurses and other licensed therapists

Make sure you see a licensed professional as a fake letter from any doctor who isn’t licensed can get you into serious trouble.

Can My Doctor Write an ESA Letter?

Yes, if your doctor is a certified mental health professional, psychiatrist or psychologist. But not otherwise because not all doctors specialize in dealing with mental health conditions like PTSD, depression, and anxiety. If you get a letter from any other besides the aforementioned mental health practitioner your ESA letter shall stand null and void.

A letter from a certified mental health therapist will have the following points:

  • The letter will be written on the mental health professionals letterhead.
  • The license number of the therapist or psychologist will be mentioned in the letter.
  • The letter will clearly state the cause behind the requirement of an emotional support animal.
  • It will have clearly mentioned the date of issuance.

If your ESA letter meets all the requirements, you will have no issue getting accommodation or flying with your pet. This is because as per the Air Carrier Access Act (ACAA) and the Fair Housing Act (FHA) anyone with a certified disability is allowed to fly and live with the pet freely.

So, Can a Physician Write an ESA letter?

All physicians aren’t licensed to write an ESA letter. They can only do so if they are a registered mental health professional and hold a legit license to do so. These include:

  • LCSW –Licensed clinical social worker
  • PsyD –Doctor of psychology
  • Ph.D. –Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology
  • LMFT –Licensed marriage and family therapist