Delta Airlines

  • Travel In-Cabin With Your Emotional Support Animal on Delta Airlines
Check Updated Rules
Delta Airlines Emotional Support Animal Policies

Delta Airlines Emotional Support Animal Policies

Traveling on flights can be daunting, especially when you suffer from a medical condition. Anxiety and stress kick in, and it becomes tough to fight it thousands of feet up in the air. Having an ESA accompany you on the flight can help improve your in-flight experience and manage your condition during the flight as well. Yes, now Delta Airlines allows you to fly with your best friend with fur but with respect to certain conditions. You need to adhere to Delta Airlines’ emotional support pet policy to travel hassle-free with the airlines. You can fly in-cabin with your pet, but there are additional fees associated with it.

Rules & Regulations Regarding ESA On Delta Airlines

Small dogs, cats, and household birds can all travel in the cabin. There is a one-way fee that is collected at the check-in. Your animal should easily be able to fit in a cabin kennel that fits under the seat in front of you.

Pets are not allowed to travel in-cabin to Hawaii.

Other regulations to take care of are:

  • The pet must be able to fit comfortably in the kennel without touching or protruding from the sides of the carrier.
  • The carrier must fit under the seat directly in front of you.
  • The pet must continue to remain inside the kennel during the duration of the flight and even in the airport.
  • The pet must at least be 10 weeks old to board the flight.
  • One pet is permitted per kennel with the following exceptions:
    • One female cat/dog may travel with her un-weaned litter if the litter is a minimum of 10 weeks to 6 months old
    • There is no limit on the number of animals in the litter.
  • If your pet is too big to fit under the seat, they will have to travel via cargo.

Delta Emotional Support Animal Documentation

There are certain documents that you need to travel with your ESA on Delta Airlines. These are the same as when you will travel with any pet.

The first is that you need to get a health certificate that is issued by a licensed veterinarian which happens within 10 days of travelling. The certificate needs to hold:

  • The name and address of the owner
  • Any identification marks assigned to the animal
  • The age of the animal
  • A statement of good health for the animal
  • Sign of the veterinarian
  • Date of the certificate

Other forms include an acknowledgment form and confirmation of animal training. You can upload the documents through the "Accessibility Service Request Form" located in the "My Trips" section. Carry a health form from the doctor also mentioning vaccination against rabies.

Pets traveling in-cabin are not allowed to travel in the following

  • Bulkhead, emergency exit rows
  • Seats designated as "no stowage"
  • Flat-bed seats



Disclaimer - By using this site I consent to telemedicine: Telehealth means the mode of delivering health care services and public health via information and communication technologies to facilitate the diagnosis, consultation, treatment, education, care management, and self-management of a patient's health care.